Senior Systems Engineer
As Senior Systems Engineer at System Era, you are responsible for making sure that our technological foundation is strong. This means designing and building fundamental engine systems for high performance and stability across a wide range of target hardware. Achieving high performance for all our targets is a team effort, so you take the initiative to share your understanding of the hardware, profiling tools, and optimization strategies for each platform with the rest of the engineering team. These educational efforts along with the strong example you set in designing, implementing, and maintaining highly optimized performance-critical systems will be key in building a strong culture of high-performance coding across the engineering team. Since initial implementations are only half the battle, you work with other members of the team to put infrastructure and processes in place to ensure that performance and stability metrics are maintained.
The team will also rely on you to understand and properly implement integrations of various required platform-specific features. As a part of this process you will be able to effectively navigate the development portals for each platform, communicate with their support staffs to resolve issues as necessary, and build a strong relationship with our QA team to ensure that platform requirements are well understood, thoroughly tested, and maintained over time. You see meeting platform requirements as a minimum bar and look for opportunities to collaborate with other team members to further leverage platform features in ways that enhance the player experience.
Finally, you value strong teamwork and use your excellent written and verbal communication skills to be a force multiplier for the team.
Due to COVID-19, the System Era team is currently working remotely. This position will begin with remote work; permanent arrangements once the team is able to safely return to our Seattle office may include full- or part-time remote options. Compensation includes salary, benefits with full medical and dental coverage, 401k with company match, and may include relocation assistance. We look for candidates who value joining a team with a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences, interests, and viewpoints.
- 5+ years of experience as an engineer in the games industry.
- At least one shipped title on a modern console platform.
- Excellent C/C++ programming and debugging skills.
- Experience working with modern performance profiling tools.
- Strong understanding of game engine components and architecture.
- Strong understanding of hardware architecture and optimization tradeoffs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Design, implement, and maintain performance-critical low-level engine systems, with a focus on maximizing performance for min-spec PC hardware and console targets.
- Work with the engineering and QA teams to implement tools, infrastructure, and process to monitor game performance during development on all target platforms.
- Integrate required platform-specific features with game code for each target platform.
- Help set up and manage products on console manufacturers’ development portals.
- Act as a point of contact for technical issues regarding specific target platforms.
- Design and implement optimizations specific to individual target platforms as necessary.
- Ensure that middleware used by the studio is properly integrated for each target platform.
- Develop, implement, and teach best practices for use of platform-specific features and optimizations.
Nice To Have
- Experience working with Unreal Engine 4
- Strong understanding of data-oriented design principles
- Deep understanding of modern console build pipelines
- Experience working with platform features and toolsets on multiple different modern console platforms
- Familiarity with console manufacturer development portals and certification procedures
- Experience working on networked multiplayer games and/or games with a significant live service component
- Experience writing automated tests for games/game engines