System Era is searching for a creative, resourceful, and skilled engineer to help drive graphics development forward at the studio! This position is open to all seniority levels, and the responsibilities of the role can be tailored to an applicant’s level of experience. We look for a tenacious mindset, sharp problem-solving, and low level programming skills more than we look for years of industry seniority. For highly experienced applicants, we can consider leadership responsibilities.
As a Graphics Engineer at System Era, you have the opportunity to drive rendering technology forward for the company. You have a passion for collaborating with an art team to develop visual targets that inspire the team and the technical skills needed to make those targets a reality. With a broad understanding of rendering techniques, you understand the trade-offs each presents in terms of implementation time, runtime performance, visual quality, and artist workflows. In addition, you understand that visual style and quality strongly affect gameplay, and that the nature of common gameplay scenarios can inform the effectiveness and impact of a given rendering technique. This motivates you to collaborate with designers and gameplay engineers to ensure that gameplay and visuals are cohesive and mutually supportive of one another. Putting all these pieces together, you pick the combination of techniques and pipelines that is most aligned with the project’s goals given the resources available.
Using a procedural world generation pipeline, fully deformable voxel-based environments, targeting a wide range of hardware, and keeping our team small are priorities that present a unique set of challenges for us at System Era. You share our view that managing complexity and finding simple, elegant solutions to the problems at hand are key to our success. You don’t hesitate to learn the hardware and toolsets for each platform and plan for how your systems will scale across the target range. You have a hacker mindset: You don’t fear to dive into large code bases with an open mind, learning the low level engine rendering data pipelines to understand how to make well-targeted changes to enable new techniques or optimizations.
For this position, we are looking for a candidate willing to work in a hybrid model, spending regular time onsite at our office in Seattle, WA to work alongside the engineering team. Relocation assistance is available for the move to Washington state and is strongly encouraged for applicants with less experience to promote faster onboarding and effective mentorship. However, for an exceptional senior level candidate, we may consider permanent remote work within the US and Canada.
Compensation package includes salary, benefits with full medical and dental coverage for employee and dependents, 401k with company match, participation in profit sharing, discretionary bonuses, flexible PTO, as well as relocation assistance. Because we are open to candidates of all experience levels, the base salary range for this position is $90,000 to $180,000. We look for candidates who value joining a team with a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences, interests, and viewpoints.
- Excellent C/C++ programming and debugging skills.
- Strong 3D math skills.
- Strong shader programming skills.
- Understanding of common rendering techniques and their applications.
- Understanding of modern GPU driver APIs (e.g. DX12, Vulkan)
- Knowledge of CPU and GPU profiling tools and optimization techniques.
- Understanding of game engine components and architecture, particularly rendering and asset pipelines.
- Understanding of modern hardware CPU, GPU, memory, and cache architectures
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Collaborate with the art department to develop visual targets and technical requirements for System Era’s rendering technologies.
- Choose the appropriate techniques to achieve our targets for artistic style and quality, with consideration for trade-offs in implementation time, and runtime performance.
- Work with our technical artist to develop pipelines for art assets which maximize the efficiency of the art team’s workflows.
- Own the development of rendering technology based on the established technical requirements, chosen techniques, and desired workflows.
- Help educate the team on best practices for using rendering technologies, and work with the rest of the engineering team to develop the APIs between rendering and other game systems as needed.
- Contribute to System Era’s overall engineering excellence by participating in technical design discussions and regular engineering team meetings.
Nice To Have
- Shipped at least one commercial game title.
- Unreal Engine 4 or 5 experience, or experience with a similarly complex AAA game engine.
- Familiarity with data-oriented design paradigms.
- Experience low-level systems, such as memory allocators and threading architectures.
- Knowledge of x86 assembly
- Experience working with procedural world generation systems.
- Experience working on multiplayer games.