As a gameplay engineer at System Era, you build the technology which brings game mechanics and systems to life. The team will rely on your ability to translate designs into effective, high-performance code which stands up to the stresses of a multiplayer environment. You enjoy building relationships within an interdisciplinary gameplay team and participating in a collaborative design process. The partnerships you establish with your teammates combined with your technical knowledge will allow you to serve as an advocate and educator for the potential of the tools available to them. Working together, you identify ways to maximize existing technology to meet design goals. As new features are required, you work hard to build a deep understanding of the team’s needs so you can construct gameplay systems which serve as evergreen pipelines for content.
Your work will consider the many performance and networking aspects which are critical to the success of a procedural, open-world multiplayer game. In addition to collaborating across disciplines, you will work together with your fellow engineers to find creative technical solutions which achieve the team’s ambitions without sacrificing stability or frame rate. You strive to push the quality bar of the team as high as possible, approach bug fixing with determination, and lend a helping hand to your teammates as needed.
While we prefer working in a hybrid model, System Era supports a variety of work routines to match the needs of our team, including permanent remote work within the US and Canada. Compensation package includes salary, benefits with full medical and dental coverage for employee and dependents, 401k with company match, participation in profit sharing and equity plans, discretionary bonuses, as well as relocation assistance for those interested in moving to Washington state. The base salary range for this position is $100,000 - $115,000 depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. We look for candidates who value joining a team with a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences, interests, and viewpoints.
- 3+ years of professional experience as a gameplay engineer with at least one shipped title.
- Strong C/C++ programming and debugging skills.
- Deep understanding of game engine components and architecture.
- Strong 3D math skills, especially linear algebra.
- Experience optimizing gameplay systems for maximum performance.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Design, develop, and maintain the technology needed to create novel gameplay mechanics and content.
- Collaborate with other members of a multi-disciplinary gameplay team to maximize the impact of designs through efficient use of available technology.
- Implement gameplay mechanics which function correctly in an online multiplayer environment.
- Write gameplay code which operates within established performance budgets.
- Stay up to date on competitive analysis and other innovations in the monetization space.
- Contribute to System Era’s overall engineering excellence by participating in code reviews, technical design discussions, and regular engineering team meetings.
Nice To Have
- Unreal Engine 4 or 5 experience.
- Experience using the PhysX physics engine.
- Experience programming and debugging gameplay features for an online multiplayer game.
- Experience integrating game code with backend services.
- Familiarity with data-oriented design paradigms.
- One or more shipped titles on a modern console platform.